“It’s not what happens to us that makes the difference in our lives. What makes the difference is our attitude towards what happens. The idea of luck is a powerful way of illustrating the importance of our basic attitudes in affecting whether or not we find our Element.” ~ Ken Robinson
After 2020 and the way 2021 is shaping up I thought I needed to make myself a bit of luck.
I selected the images I thought I would use and laid them out a tentative composition.
Next I used my supply catalog app (Color My Life) to find and pull plaid papers that might work. Then I laid out all my greens to select the colors I would work with.
I cut the truck from the darkest green and inked the edges for more interest.
I cut a white shadow on which to assemble the truck and embossed the outlines of the cut pieces onto it by using The Stamps of Life Kiss Cut pad. Stephanie has made a detailed video explaining how to use the Kiss Cut Pad for cutting stickers or to emboss a placement guide as I have done here. This makes it easier to assemble my card, I can glue with confidence knowing that I have spaced my pieces correctly for everything to fit together without any gaps. Here’s a link to her video explaining how to. https://youtu.be/EKttLLHJ4Rs?t=468
Next I cut the chrome elements of the truck using silver mirror paper. I used washi tape to do selective cutting to conserve the mirror paper.
Next I cut the truck again in a light blue color that was appropriate for the window and windshield.
These are the additional pieces which I need in other colors. The light blue was light enough I was able to color them using ink pads direct-to-paper. Thus saving myself the trouble of cutting pieces from many different colors of cardstock.
As I began to piece the truck I realized I needed additional wheel wells in green so that when I used foam tape to pop them up, the white underneath would not show. I cut those using the same selective cutting technique I used with the chrome mirror paper.
Then I began to create the gnome using paper piecing and copic markers.
Next I searched my app catalog for stamp sets with sentiments about luck.
The truck set comes with a stamp set which includes “Sending Loads Of…” I needed to add the word LUCK. The stamp I decided to use actually had the word LUCKY so I masked off the y using washi tape and selectively applied black ink to the stamp using a sponge dauber as shown.
I tried out my composition and decided the pot of gold would need to go on the inside of the card with a rainbow.
I selected the colors to use for the rainbow by consulting my swatch ring. I pulled the colors off the ring so I could test make sure they would be harmonious with the colors I’d already used in my card. I cut the pieces and colored the bows using the same direct to paper technique I used to color the truck pieces. Then I assembled the rainbow.
In the end I was able to cut the rainbow to get a rainbow on both the front and inside of the card. I hope you like my card. I try to show techniques that will translate from card making to things you might make for a scrapbook page and illustrate my creative process and how I work around obstacles I encounter.
- Truck 5×7 Fold-It Die Set HSN by The Stamps of Life
- Gnomes2Stamp Dies by The Stamps Of Life
- Shamrocks4Us Dies by The Stamps of Life
- Mirror Paper by The Stamps of Life
- Kiss Cut Pad The Stamps Of Life
- Rainbow Sky Dies by Hello Bluebird
- Loving Life Stamps by The Stamps of Life Club Kit exclusive
- Pop-Up Wiper Card Dies (grass) by My Favorite Things
- Life Changing Blender Brushes by Picket Fence Studios
- Mini Waffle Flower Water Media Mat
- Microfiber cloth
- Celebration Labels Dies Stampin’ Up!
- Copic Markers C3, T2, E21
- Spring Basics Paper Pad by The Stamps of Life
- Art Glitter Glue
- Foam Tape
- Dimensionals Stampin’ Up!
- Stamparatus Stamp Positioning Tool by Stampin’ Up!
- Shamrock Patterned Paper by The Paper Studio – Hobby Lobby
- Colored Cardstock – Hobby Lobby
- Catherine Pooler Ink Pads: It’s A Girl, Pixie Dust, It’s a Boy, Garden Party, Limoncello, Orange Twist, Rocking Red, Midnight, Spruce
Bonus artwork. Here is another version of the truck card that I made for my Dad. The tree & stamps came with the truck. The Puppy & santa hat is from Catherine Pooler Peeking Pets Stamp Set.